According to the Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the recent incident that claimed the life of a worker in St. Paul is the fourth fatal workplace accident so far this year. A spokesperson for the agency says an investigation was launched on the day following the accident. Reportedly, struck-by accidents are the most common cause of occupational fatalities in Minnesota.
An incident report indicates that the 38-year-old worker was a marble mason who was a member of a crew working at the new China Garden at Phalen Regional Park. The St. Paul Fire Department responded after receiving an emergency call at approximately 3 p.m. on a recent Tuesday. Paramedics treated the injured worker at the scene and then rushed him to the hospital. Sadly, he succumbed to his injuries later that day.
Initial reports indicated that a falling object struck the worker. MNOSHA investigators will work to determine the circumstances that led to this worker’s death. They will likely also inspect the employer’s compliance with safety standards. The safety agency says an average of eight workers dies each year after being struck by objects or making contact with equipment.
The surviving family of any worker who dies after suffering a construction site injury might be eligible for death benefits through the Minnesota workers’ compensation insurance program — regardless of the outcome of the MNOSHA investigation. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can assist with the benefits claims process. Survivors’ benefits typically cover the costs of end-of-life arrangements along with a financial package to make up for lost wages.